I have been practicing this breath since I heard Dr. Weil on Ben Greenfield’s podcast a few weeks ago. I am really enjoying this simple yet effective practice. You can do almost anywhere. I sometimes do it while walking.
Here are the steps:
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
- Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose for a count of four.
- Hold your breath for a count of seven.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight. This is one breath.
- Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.
This breathing technique is to be practiced a minimum of twice a day for 4 breaths each time. You can do it more often during the day if needed but keeping it to 4 breaths.
After a month you can increase to 8 breaths per cycle and a minimum of twice a day.
There is more information in the video.